Thursday, April 30, 2009

Just what I needed

If you have read my previous post you are aware of my sweet, patient, grateful, thankful quiet children being abducted by aliens and replaced with obnoxiously whiney, fighting, disrespectful, rude, and impatient little boys. What happened to my sweet little boys? 

They aren't perfect. I am the first to admit this. We have had rough weeks before, but this week tops them all. I have been home with them for almost 2 weeks now and will be working all weekend. I feel like I am walking on eggshells when they are behaving and when they aren't I just want to run and hide. 

This morning I began my day praying that God would give me strength, peace, and EXTRA patience.  I also prayed that I could make it through the day without any outbursts or saying things I would regret later. I was on the verge of tears wondering if I could stand my ground another day. We started out having a pretty good day and I decided to squeeze in a workout, a quick trip to the grocery store and the library as a reward for good behavior.  

To really appreciate this story, you must know that I am feeling exhausted. I am getting sick from staying up late/getting up early for the week, no naps, emotionally drained from the boys, and just plain worn out.  I begged the Lord this morning to just give me a glimpse of my sweet boys and give me a little encouragement.  I also told Him that I might not make it through the day without these things!

Working out was uneventful, except that I showed up to pick them up during craft time.  That didn't go over so well, but could have been worse. The grocery store went fairly well, but right when we walked in the door Jonah accidently knocked over a cheap yard decoration and it broke.  Had I not been right next to him, and seen with my own eyes that he didn't touch it but that his arm bumped it, I wouldn't have believed it.  Thankfully we didn't have to pay for it, but the cranky clerk sure made him feel bad.  It took all I had to keep my momma bear instincts down as I was trying to nicely explain that it really was an accident and comfort Jonah. 

I held my breath until we pulled into the library parking lot. I gave the boys a little lecture, you know the "and don't think that we aren't going to leave if you misbehave or are naughty..."

Then we walked into the library.  We climbed the stairs up to the children section and I almost fell over when I saw three moms from MOPS/bible study. They greeted me with smiles and I was able to share with them how much "fun" my week as been.  They offered words of encouragement, and praised me for sticking to my guns and not backing down.  One said she was feeling the same way yesterday and said she was having a "I don't want to be a mom today kind of day" and feels my pain. She shared that she thinks times like these just keep us humble.  They help us grow, stretch, and learn more about loving our kids as Christ loves us. Great point!

The kids played. The moms talked. Then we all went our separate ways and I smiled thinking about God smiling too because that was just what I needed and He knew it. 

2 comments:

Cindy and company said...

He is more wonderful than words can explain. He knows each of us intimately and knows exactly what we need and when we need it! I stand in awe of Him. Praise the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever!

Becky said...

I fear for the soul that suffers the wrath of 'momma bear' if she ever unleashes it.

-Richard