Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Oh No! Where Is Isaac?


Our boys have ALL been busy as toddlers, but I think Isaac takes the cake for being the busiest so far!

He has developed a remarkable independence (as a result of trying to keep up with his 5 & 6 year old brothers who he adores) and believes he can do things that other 18 month olds don't yet know exist.

He has lived up to his nickname his dad gave him when he first became mobile "Isaaczilla" as well.

He is very curious and loves to take things apart, put them back together or just try to figure out how they work.  My mom is predicting engineering for his future. I can see it.

While I enjoy his independence, it has been a bit challenging as well. 

He is pretty good about entertaining himself for short periods of time so I can do dishes, put away clothes, or work on supper.

However, he is also pretty sneaky and quiet when he is getting into something he shouldn't be.

While my preggo brain is full force and I become caught up in a task, I frequently find myself saying "Oh no, where is Isaac?"

Fortunately, he has enjoyed the attention he receives from me when I find him challenging his independence!  If he is doing something he probably shouldn't he yells "Mom" but it sounds distinctively different than any other time he is trying to get my attention.

He will continue to yell my name until I find him and then he is usually beaming with pride as I discover whatever he is or has been doing. 

It probably doesn't help that I will take a picture of him...

He can climb up to the top bunk by himself apparently...
I learned of this one unfortunate Saturday morning when I was trying to get ready so we could all go to the farmer's market.  He had climbed up there while Jonah was "watching" him during my 2 minute an 30 second shower. 

Then he proceeded to dump out 2 jars of sand (an art project Jonah had done with the colorful fine sand) all over Jonah's bed. 

Not only did he dump it on Jonah's bed, but managed to dump it from the top bunk to the bottom one as well.  Needless to say, both beds were vacuumed and the bedding was washed. 

He has a sweet tooth that gets him into trouble too...
He had seen me put away extra cup cakes from Elijah's birthday into the box the cake had been in.

He had screamed, stomped his feet, and threw a fabulous tantrum requesting one and was not happy with me when I said no. 

I left him to finish his tantrum and when he was curiously silent I came back to discover him in the above picture.  He had pushed a chair up next to the counter, climbed up and was taking large fingers full of frosting at a time.

When I asked him what he was doing he said, "Yummmmmm momma."

He has recently become obsessed with "going pee" and flushing the toilet. 

When he does this he pushes the stool up to the toilet, lifts up his shirt, and then proceeds to flush the toilet multiple times. 
While I have been impressed with his association with going to the bathroom, and coming to tell me he is going pee (with a warm, wet diaper on) and that he has to poop (and returning a few minutes later with a dirty diaper for me to change, I am not going to start potty training now.

I am encouraged that he can make a connection, but the other 2 also showed interest this early for a brief time and then weren't potty trained until later.

The process itself is long enough, I certainly am not going to drag it out
 or begin it before adding a baby to the mix!

He loves to help me cook or bake. 

Often this requires me to practice patience and restraint while I allow him to make more messes and make the process take longer than it otherwise would, but he sure enjoys it. 

Here he was helping me make some guacamole for taco night. He was doing a great job mashing the avocados for me, but I caught him taking giant spoonfulls of it into his mouth. 

                 Oh Isaac,  You have become a toddler right before our eyes!  I love your independence and cherish the moments you still want to be held, snuggled, and give hugs and kisses.  I am having a hard time letting go of you as you try to conquer bigger and better things. 

 I pray this confidence continues to grow and helps shape you into the boy God has created you to be.  I am enjoying these last few weeks together before your little brother or sister consumes most of my attention.  I am enjoying our time together while Elijah is at preschool. 

Don't forget to give your momma lots of loving as you get bigger!  I also pray for safety as you climb to new heights and discover new things. I am thankful to be your mommy on this adventure!

No comments: