Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Loving Isaac

The adjustment to three kiddos has been so much smother than I ever imagined. I was VERY afraid to bring a baby home mostly because Elijah had never really expressed any interest in wanting a baby in our house. He is a mama's boy through and through and at 3 1/2 years old he did NOT want to give up his spot as my baby. Richard and I prayed for this adjustment to go well, but we both were preparing for it to be a bumpy road. I won't go in to great detail about how much Elijah really didn't want a baby brother or sister in our house, but he did make it very clear that wasn't on his list of likes.

At the hospital Elijah was very removed and a bit distant when he came to meet Isaac for the first time. The boys didn't want to know the gender of the baby until they could come see for themselves. Elijah walked in and announced he knew it was a boy. When I asked him how he knew he said he just did. Jonah had to investigate for himself of course ;0) Elijah didn't really want to see or touch Isaac at first and didn't even want to give me a hug.

We eventually discovered it was because he thought I was going to see Jesus like my grandmother did. I hadn't even thought about how hard it would be for them to see me in the hospital after seeing my grandma knowing she was going to pass away soon. I explained to Elijah that I wasn't going to see Jesus and just had to stay for 2 days to make sure Isaac and mommy were ok before we came home. Once we had that taken care of he started to warm up to his baby brother.

He touched him every once and awhile, but during the entire stay at the hospital he was happy watching cartoons on TV, eating snacks, and letting everyone else love his baby brother. We had to bribe him to be in pictures and he was quite upset that I had to stay at the hospital and couldn't come home, but he thought Isaac should just stay there because "mommy works with the babies and they stay at the hospital. They don't come home, so Isaac can stay at mommy's work."

The day we brought Isaac home the walls started falling down. Isaac was all strapped in his carseat and we were ready to go and Elijah went up to him and touched him and kissed him! He seemed excited to get him home and did it again when we got home.

Slowly each day he has warmed up a little more and now will call him "little buddy" when he talks to him and gives him kisses on his own terms. (Elijah has always been stingy with giving hugs and kisses, so it is pretty special that he is doing this).

Finally Sunday, February 28th, (Isaac was 4 days old) we had a major breakthrough. Richard had taken Jonah skating, I had laid Elijah down for a nap and told him I would join him after I fed his brother, and while I was doing that Elijah came out of his room and asked to hold Isaac! I had tears in my eyes watching Elijah falling in love with Isaac. He checked him out and sang him a few songs (yankee doodle, and another one he made up) and was captivated by Isaac's sweetness.

The first time Elijah held Isaac

Melting my heart as he sang him songs

Then Elijah asked to read him a story!

He read him "The Monster at the end of this book" which happens to be my favorite book from childhood and one we have been reading quite a bit lately.

Since then it has been so wonderful watching the boys falling in love with their little brother. Jonah holds him constantly during the day and loves to help gets things for him or help me feed him ;0) Elijah still keeps his distance a bit, but when he is close is kissing him and calling him "little buddy" and doing very well sharing me with Isaac.

Elijah doesn't care for Isaac crying and whenever he does he immediately yells "Give him milk! Give him milk!" and covers his ears. He also doesn't think Isaac should wear jammies (sleepers) during the day and makes sure I put "clothes" on him when he gets up in the morning. This is just a great excuse for Isaac to wear all his adorable outfits that otherwise probably wouldn't get worn.

Thanks for all your prayers during this transition! Everyday has been an adventure, but my heart is overflowing with love for these 3 little boys and my one big boy! I feel truly blessed and am enjoying every moment. Especially the ones where I am quickly reminded how much I appreciated being able to shower, leave the house, throw a load of laundry in the wash in less than 45 minutes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We love you too, sweet momma!