Wednesday, June 15, 2011

From Kindergarten to 1st Grade

I might be in denial that I had a Kindergartner last fall...

and now have a 1st grader!

Jonah transitioned so well to school I could hardly believe it!

It was in fact harder on me and Elijah than him!

After watching Jonah enjoy school so much, Elijah is finally looking forward to starting preschool in the fall.  He has an August birthday and misses the cut off for kindergarten, but I think this will be to his advantage.  He will benefit from one more year before being put in school. 

He will be going 3 mornings a week for just a few hours this fall and is super excited. 

He also thinks it's pretty cool that he will be going to school where Richard went to preschool, Sunflake.

He already knows one little boy who will most likely be in his class, so that is good.

The other night we were reading one of our favorite books before bed...


Anna Dewdney has 4 books about this adorable little llama that teach some quality lessons and happen to rhyme (my favorite for some reason). 

Anyway, in this book, little llama is going to his first day of preschool and realizes during the day that he really misses his mama and is pretty sad. 

He is comforted by the fact that she will return soon to pick him up and that he is in fact having a great time with his new friends and new toys. 

Elijah always gets a little clingy when we read this and talks about how he will be sad when he has to go to school, but he knows I will be there to pick him up and it will be okay.

As a mother of boys, my heart always melts a bit when I hear them talking about missing me and not wanting to grow up.  Too often they are running through the house saving the day from one bad guy or another and frankly have little time for kisses and hugs for their momma.

I do require a hug and a kiss here and there in order to pass through the kitchen if I happen to be in there, or if I am sitting in a room doing something and they fly by.

They oblige and smile as they run away. 

Last fall taking my first baby to school was tough for me. 

I didn't cry until Richard and I had dropped him off and made it out the door.

Jonah was beaming the entire time and my heart was broken for the kiddos who were crying and had a death grip on their mom or dad's leg. 

After reading this book the other night, Elijah started asking if it was okay that he was a little sad about going to school and being gone from me. 

We talked about it and how he may feel a little sad but that is okay because I would be there soon.

He visited the preschool last winter and remembered all the fun things he had seen there so that helped too of course!

Then I asked Jonah if he ever missed me when he was at school. 

He thought for a minute and said, "Well, maybe for about 5 minutes the first day."

(Ugh. Dagger to the heart.)

"I really liked school mom. There were a few kids who cried in my class. I just was more excited about school than I was sad that I missed you."

Well, I suppose 5 minutes is better than 0 minutes. 

I am very thankful he looks forward to school and doesn't struggle with anxiety of being away from me or home. Although I wouldn't have minded a few tears that first day.

I am going to cherish the summer and try not to think about the milestone that is approaching this fall.

Come to think of it, I probably need the extra year to prepare for another one of my babies in school just as much as Elijah does!

Growing up is so hard.


No comments: