Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Boy-Sterous Living!

I recently ordered a slew of books from Amazon after signing up for the Amazon Prime trial membership in which you get free 2 day shipping! 

I needed it for Elijah's pirate party supplies and figured I might as well put the 30 day trial to good use!

So, I ordered a few books I had been wanting, but didn't really want to pay shipping for.

One of them happened to be this book...

The more I learn about little boys the more I realize I don't know about them!

The mysteries of the male brain continue to amaze me and I often find myself wondering how else I can equip myself to better understand them as well as making sure I am doing all I can to raise Godly men, I mean little boys (I can't even think about them turning double digits let alone becoming MEN)!

I have really enjoyed this book, and after reading it once realize I am going to have to read it multiple times in order for the information to sink in. 

Richard read a bit of one chapter that discussed communication and found it humorous.

It was titled communicating with the caveman and I also found it humorous because I can often relate.

Richard may have found it humorous because he knows how frustrated I can get when we have "discussions" about communication. 

I would highly recommend this for anyone who is raising a boy or multiple boys!

One of my favorite chapters had a list of interesting things you discover when you have boys.

I also realized if you can't beat 'em, you might as well join them!

I wanted to share a few of the things on the list....fortunately we haven't personally learned these lessons about boys.  I am not holding my breath though, I am sure we will have our fair share of lists in the future.  This list was from a random email titled...

Interesting things you discover when you have sons:


1. A king-size waterbed holds enough water to flood a 2,000-square-foot house 4 inches deep.


2. If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with roller blades, they can ignite.


3. A 3 year old boy's voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.
(Actually think we have learned this one more than once)


4. If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, you'll find the motor is not strong enough to rotate a 42 pound boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman cape.  It is strong enough, however, if a paint can is tied to it, to spread paint on all four walls of a 20x20-ft room.


5. When you hear the toilet flush and the words "Uh oh, " it's already too late.


6. Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.


7. Certain Legos will pass through the digestive tract of a 4 year old boy.


8. Super glue is forever.


9. No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool, you still can't walk on water.


10. Pool filters do not like Jell-0.


11. You probably DO NOT want to know what that odor is.
(I have unfortunately learned this one....I have discovered when finding clothing laying around, rather than smell it to see if it's clean, when it doubt throw it in the wash)


12. The spin cycle in the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy.


13. It will, however, make cats dizzy.


14. Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy.


15. You think your boys aren't listening and won't remember the conversations you are having with your girlfriend on the phone, but they will conveniently remember just the right phrases and just the right times.  (I have also learned this one the hard way)


After the first time reading this book, I have learned I need to let go even more and let my boys be boys.

I can channel that energy positively and I am working on being more accepting of this.

This is hard for me, and I am sure it will only become more difficult the older they all get!

Guess I better keep reading.

My next book is called Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys.
(Sorry honey, I am sure I didn't use the proper citation for this)


I hope you at least found this amusing, and if you have boys in your home I am sure you could add to the list as well!









1 comment:

karlea said...

I love Amazon Prime! I get my diapers and wipes 30% off from Amazon's Subscribe and Save and it qualifies me for Free Amazon Prime! I love it. Plus I never have to deal with coupons or going out to the store for diapers or wipes.

I might have to read that book. I feel so helplessly clueless about raising boys! I love to read your blog in hopes of going some insight :)