Sunday, September 26, 2010

Puppy Dog Eyes

Every day I look forward to picking Jonah up from school because I have missed him all day and I can't wait to hear about his day!

The first few weeks of school I had to practically pull teeth to get him to tell me anything about his day and have had to become quite creative with my questions.

Questions like...Did you have a good day? What did you learn?...get me nowhere!

Questions that get answers are: What was your favorite thing you did today? Did you get to eat all your lunch?  What did you play for free time or recess? Did anyone get in trouble? 

Another important fact of the day is who was the "helper" for the day, what they brought for show-and-tell, and who they picked to be a helper with them during the day.

In case you have kindergarten-amnesia, being the helper for the day is a BIG deal for a kindergartener!

They get to change the day on the calendar, describe the weather, be the line leader, snack passer-outer, bring something special to show from home, and essentially be on cloud nine for the entire day!

Jonah was pretty stoked his first helper day because it happened to fall on the first day of the month so he got to change the day and the month at school!

So back to the story...

Friday when I picked Jonah up from school he was a bit down.

When I asked him what was wrong he told me through pouty lips and a sad tone that it was Charlotte's helper day and she picked Jayden to be her helper all day! 
(The following is our conversation regarding this devastating event)

Jonah: She didn't pick me even once mom!

Me: Did you pick her on your helper day honey?

J: No, but she could still pick me!

M: I thought girls had cooties?

J: They do, but you don't have to touch a girl when you stand in line by her!

M: Well honey I bet Charlotte and Jayden are just good friends and she wanted to share her helper day with the friend. Just like you picked your new friends when it was your turn!

J: I even used my trick on girls and it didn't work mom!

M: What trick on girls Jonah?

J: I went like this (he puts his hands together as if he is begging, sticks his pouty lips out, makes his big brown eyes all cute and sad and starts whimpering like a puppy)

M: (trying not to laugh) And it didn't work buddy?  Wow, I think I would have picked you if it was my helper day! Where did you learn that by the way?

J: From Cassidy, I saw her do it one time and she was picked so I tried it on RaeLynn  a couple days ago and it worked!

M: But it didn't work on Charlotte huh?

J: Nope, I guess not. Maybe she doesn't like puppies.

M: Maybe not buddy.

J: Or she doesn't like boys.  Especially ones pretending to be a puppy.

M: Maybe she needs to get to know you better first.  Maybe you should pick her next time it's your helper day and see what happens? 

J: We'll see mom. 


One of my biggest fears about being a mother of boys is being pushed to the sidelines when they get older and it isn't cool to talk to your mom about stuff. 

 I love that they share things with me now and I pray we will be able to keep that line of communication open as the years go by and troubles turn from not being picked for helper day to tougher issues like friends saying hurtful things or peer pressure.

Jonah, 

I cherish the after school talks we have and the moments when you open up about your day at school and when you give me a peek into your adorable mind and soul.

I am so proud of you and can't believe how grown up you have become after only twenty some days of school under your belt!  You stand a little straighter and hold your head a little higher and I love you even more for it!

The piles of school work you come home with and the proud grin on your face as you tell me about it makes me wish these days would last forever.

I am not going to lie, I get a bit teary when you come home with another word you can read or another secret you have discovered about the world!

Don't grow up too fast and enjoy these care free days where girls ignoring your puppy dog eyes may be the biggest problem you face in a day!

Love Always,
 Your Listening Momma

No comments: